OPERATION REDWING ANNIVERASY-MARCUS LUTTRELL’S STORY
Posted: 28 Jun 2008 02:53 PM CDT
Three years ago today 19 brave men gave their lives on Operation Redwing in Afghanistan. It was the most tragic day in Naval Special Warfare history and devastated the 160th SOAR as well. Godspeed to all these men and their families. We leave on Monday for Denver for a 4th of July event and some time with the family of Danny Dietz as the first part of our tribute to these men. Marcus’ book tells the story in Afghanistan we aim to tell more about the men who lived great lives before that day.
There is a memorial today in San Diego and most of the families will be there. Marcus Luttrell will throw out the first pitch at the Padres game.
Eleven Navy SEALs and eight Army commandos died June 28, 2005, during a battle between U.S. forces and Taliban fighters in the Konar province of Afghanistan. The dead included men trained, stationed or living in San Diego County. Only Petty Officer 1st Class Marcus Luttrell survived. He will throw the first pitch at tomorrow’s Padres game. The tribute will include Navy Leap Frogs parachuting into Petco Park and a fly-by of four Navy F-18 fighter jets
- Lt. Michael P. Murphy
- Petty Officer Matthew Axelson
- Petty Officer Second Class Danny Dietz
The service members killed-in-action on the crashed helicopter include:
- Staff Sgt. Shamus O. Goare, 29, of Danville, Ohio
- Chief Warrant Officer Corey J. Goodnature, 35, of Clarks Grove, Minnesota.
- Sgt. Kip A. Jacoby, 21, of Pompano Beach, Florida
- Sgt. 1st Class Marcus V. Muralles, 33, of Shelbyville, Indiana
- Master Sgt. James W. Ponder III, 36, of Franklin, Tennessee
- Maj. Stephen C. Reich, 34, of Washington Depot, Connecticut.
- Sgt. 1st Class Michael L. Russell, 31, of Stafford, Virginia
- Chief Warrant Officer Chris J. Scherkenbach, 40, of Jacksonville, Florida
- Chief Petty Officer Jacques J. Fontan, 36, of New Orleans, Louisiana
- Senior Chief Petty Officer Daniel R. Healy, 36, of Exeter, New Hampshire
- Lt. Cmdr. Erik S. Kristensen, 33, of San Diego, California
- Petty Officer 1st Class Jeffery A. Lucas, 33, of Corbett, Oregon
- Lt. Michael M. McGreevy, Jr., 30, of Portville, New York
- Petty Officer 2nd Class James E. Suh, 28, of Deerfield Beach, Florida
- Petty Officer 1st Class Jeffrey S. Taylor, 30, of Midway, West Virginia
- Petty Officer Second Class Eric Shane Patton, 22, of Boulder City, Nevada
Rest now gentlemen and enjoy a drink in the Hall of Heroes.